Qualitative Research and Computers
During this course we examine hands-on how computers may help with qualitative computers. It is based on series of modules, focused on different approaches of conducting qualitative analysis.
As this is hands-on course, you are required to work with the software. We have created a set of assignments to get familiar with the usual workflow and process of working with these software. Please see following pages for tasks and instructions.
- University of Helsinki: Moodle
- Open coding is a data-driven analysis practice, allowing the data to speak on its own. For example, grounded theory and thematic analysis often apply open coding approach. Common software to conduct this kind of work is Atlas.TI and NVivo.
- Closed coding is theory-driven analysis practice, pre-existing theory is used to analyse data. For example, content analysis often applies closed coding approach.
- Audiovisual material module focuses on opportunities to use software tools for images, video and audio data. Module is under development is is released during early April.
- Data science module focuses on opportunities to use software tools to automate qualitative data analysis process. Module is under development is is released during mid April.